Thursday, April 29, 2010

***Alert*** Lady Bloggers Circle Blogging Workshop

I recently signed up to take an online blog workshop with what I thought was a reputable blog. I saw so many girls who I respect, that had the Lady Bloggers Society button on their page. If you click that link you will notice that her site is conveniently "down" for a while.

So here is a checklist another smart blogger I met through this experience, came up with:

- What are the credentials of the person offering the service / workshop? Are they successful? In what niche?


- What are previous participants saying? Can you contact them to see if they are satisfied?


- What are the refund policies? Are the benefits of the workshop specific and clear?


- Is it too good to be true? It probably is



The workshop I attended was with The Lady Blogger Society. It was called the Lady Bloggers Circle, run by Stepfanie Bishop.

 So this would be almost the end of week three. She has not posted the 3rd assignment. We were supposed to be paying for her expertise. She never replied to any of our forum posts. When all the participants started emailing each other, we realized that we all felt the same way. We joined the most expensive forum ever!

When we started questioning her and asking for refunds her answer was...I will only return part of your money because you completed two assignments, you never got your consultation, and you got 2 E-books.
1. Yes, I completed the assignments and she did not reply.
2. The E-books? I could have found that info on google by searching for "how to improve my blog".
3. Really....after all she hasn't done do you really think I want her consultation?

All she had was excuses and lies, and that is no way to run a business. I think she is finally going to refund my full amount. I just wanted to share my experience with all of you. You may have noticed that I took down her button from my blog. I just hope that none of you will be swindled by her like I was. Please be careful when it comes to things like these and make sure you ask yourself those questions.

7 comments:

  1. I was part of this group. Everything stated here is correct and truthful. Such a shame.

    Nonetheless, we did meet a great group a gals in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by to say hi! I haven't heard of this group before, but thanks for the alert! It's a great idea to check credentials before signing up- you're right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal: Yes...agreed! We did meet some awesome women!

    Christine: I am glad we were the guinea pig group so that we can share our experience!

    Thanks for stopping by ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, wanted to let you know I'm followin you now. Woo hoo! 20! (I loved it when I hit 20, like it was a hurdle I just couldn't get over!)

    Anyway, I was one of the unlucky LBC gals. I really just wanted to get her feedback, didn't need half the stuff she offered. Oh well, I'll be hanging around to see what she does.
    Great post, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, so the rest of us can avoid the same experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, lady, I was also in the LBC group. I am linking my post to yours now. I verify that everything stated here is true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear you ladies had such a negative experience. Ditto that you should always check the credentials of those offering anything--a workshop, a book--anything for which you are paying your hard earned money. These days--especially in the realm of social media-- many people proclaim themselves "experts" or claim they are knowledgeable enough to teach. It's up to the consumer to verify what experience has rendered that person qualified. Just because they blog? Millions blog, that does not necessarily mean they can teach.

    My partner, James Navé, and I recently launched a creative blogging workshop focusing on the development of great content. Despite our combined years of experience facilitating creative meetings and workshops, and my own award-winning blog (just nominated for Webby), we still planned for months before the first workshop. Our participants' feedback was very important to us (happy to report we received wonderful feedback and requests for more workshops.)

    From what I see linking to some of your blogs: you are doing pretty well! Good luck in your blogging journeys.

    Robin Horton
    theblogworkshops.com
    urbangardensweb.com
    robinhortondesign.com

    ReplyDelete