Monday, March 29, 2010

I made Tiramisu!!! It is my favorite dessert. Yes...even above chocolate!




 No really!!! Me...from scratch...I even had to substitute a couple of things and it still came out pretty good! I got the recipe from a 400 calorie meal cookbook i picked up at the checkstand at the store.

So here is the recipe. I'll explain what I had to do different and what I will do different to to make this better!



3 large egg whites, at room temp.
2/3 cup of sugar
3 Tbsp cold water
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 mascarpone cheese (if you can't find this cheese, mix 1 small tub sour cream with 1 small tub of high quality cream cheese, then mix with one pound of ricotta cheese. Mix with mixer or food processor until well blended)
1/2 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
4 oz Neufchatel cheese at room temp.
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup strong espresso (I used instant coffee...Don't Do  This!!! It tastes OK but not great and I can tell the difference.)
22 lady fingers (I used a frozen pound cake Sara Lee possibly...Can't remember. I sliced the pound cake thin and got about 20 pieces.)
1 tsp Hershey's Special dark cocoa powder (Hint: if you buy this brand new, don't take the protective covering under the lid. I poked holes in it to make it a shaker!)

1.) Bring about 2" of water to a simmer in a medium pot or double boiler. Combine egg whites, sugar, water, and cream of tartar in medium heat-proof bowl that will fit over pot or in top of double boiler. Place bowl over pot or double boiler. Beat 4 minutes using electric mixer on low speed. Increase speed to high and beat 4 more minutes, or until very thick. Remove bowl from pot. Beat 4 more minutes, or until mixture is very light and fluffy.(If you have a small double boiler, then I would suggest using a metal bowl instead. I borrowed one and I was afraid to scratch it so I used one of those drink mixer things to mix it and I now have small burn marks all down the left side of my face because it kept splashing.)

2.) Place mascarpone, yogurt, Neufchatel, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat until creamy. Add 1 cup of the egg-white mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in remaining egg-white mixture.

3.) Pour espresso into shallow bowl. Dip 7 lady fingers in espresso (Don't let them soak in the espresso...the lady fingers or pound cake will crumble) and arrange at bottom of 2 1/2-quart square baking dish. Top with one-third of the mascarpone mixture. repeat twice, ending with mascarpone. Dust with cocoa powder. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 3 days before serving.

12 servings, 230 cal, 6 g pro, 25 g carb, 0 g fiber, 12 g fat, 100 mg sodium


It did come out good, but I over soaked some of the pound cake pieces, and like I said they do not taste that great since I used instant coffee.

I will let you know what it tasted like when I tweak it a little!!

4 comments:

  1. Oooh I'm getting hungry just reading this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tiramisu and I love to try "made from scratch recipes". Keep us updated if you make it again. is sounds delicious though:) I am from the Lady Blogger Tea Party

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks fro sharing this recipe and especially thanks for sharing your own tips...I love that! I like to do that on my blog too...I find it really helpful to know what real people did or would do differently.

    Stopping over from the Lady Bloggers Tea Party.

    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girls, I did the tiramisu for Easter and it was AWESOME!!! It worked a lot better using the mixer and a bowl instead of the double boiler.

    ReplyDelete